Know your Food: Lavender
LAVENDER IS the latest craze, and we love it. When you think lavender, you may just think soap, or perfume, but it is good for so much more!
Why we love it: Not only does it look and smell nice but it can also be very beneficial to your health. Lavender has been known to relieve stress and help with anxiety. It can even make those horrible headaches go away.
When to harvest it: Early spring and summer is when lavender flowers, so this is the time when you want to pick it. Use it right away, or dry it.
What to do with it: Have a bundle by your desk to relieve stress, or even add some to a relaxing evening bath. Lavender oil can even be used as a more kid friendly protective salve instead of rubbing alcohol. We vote for eating it though! Try adding it to your lemonade or try this lavender cookie recipe that Hieke whipped up.
These are perfect summer cookies!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- Beat well, add 1 large egg and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla beat well again.
- Slowly add 3 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Mix into a ball and leave in fridge about an hour to chill.
- Roll out on floured surface and cut with a cookie cutter desired shape.
- Sprinkle tops with sugar and bake at 350 for about 8 mins.
Just before they are done sprinkle lavender flowers bits on top. If you put the lavender on before you bake the flowers will just go brown.
One more cookie tip. If you really want a strong lavender taste add some bits in while rolling out the dough.