The Grocery Store Goodness challenge
WITH SO much a-mah-zing seasonal produce in our groceries stores right now, we decided it was high time we challenged Hieke to (drumroll please) … the Vitala Foods Grocery Store Goodness challenge. Using only items she bought at a selected local market, Hieke will put her resourcefulness to the test to feed the Vitala staff. This week, we visited Lepp Farm Market here in Abbotsford where we found an abundance of fresh summer fruit and veg ripe for the taking. The result? Italian-themed burgers featuring Lepp’s own-brand beef burger patties and delicious fresh arugula. And for the record, these disappeared faster than you can say “pre-sliced fresh bocconcini”.
Italian Burgers with Arugula and pesto mayonnaise
- Lepp’s own beef burger patties
- Multigrain burger buns
- Pesto mayonnaise – mix one tbsp of pesto into half a cup of real mayonnaise (we used Hellman’s)
- Caramelized onion – a medium sized onion, thinly sliced, fried over low heat in about 2 tbsp butter until brown
- One Heirloom tomato, sliced
- Sliced Bocconcini cheese
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze
*For a vegetarian option, substitute beef patties for sliced, grilled eggplant.