In Partnership withScience world
Get to know your food by visiting our one-of-a-kind demonstration farm! Showcasing innovative and sustainable dairy farming practices, our EcoDairy in partnership with Science World British Columbia is open to the public providing a real dairy farm experience, which also happens to be lots of fun. So why not get to know your food by joining Vicki the Cow and our wonderful tour hosts on a visit to our EcoDairy? Ecodairy.ca
- Yes, its true: we really use cow manure to power our farm. We’ve teamed up with AVATAR Energy to create an ingenious system of renewable energy!
- Over a 21-day period, the system takes the cows’ manure, heats it and collects the methane gas (biogas).
- The biogas is then burned by a generator to create electricity to power buildings and equipment. It`s enough power to offset a portion of the site’s electricity and natural gas needs.
- The system also removes any odour.
- By-products of the system are a soft fiber which we use for the cows’ bedding and a condensed liquid organic fertilizer that can be used for crops and gardens.
- Believe it or not, our cows milk themselves! They decide when they want to be milked – sort of like a self-serve station.
- Our voluntary milking schedule allows our farmers time away from a stringent daily milking schedule.
- The robotic milker also provides better hygiene through an automated process that cleans and dries the cows’ teats before milking.
- It even cleans the floor!